Thursday, October 22, 2009

Better Late Than Never

They landed at 7am (our time) this morning; more than 5 hours late. China is 12 hours ahead of us so it was 7pm in Beijing. Constantin called but unfortunately, I had a meeting at Katerina's school and I missed the call; no answer when I called back. I'm guessing he is enjoying some needed sleep time. I'm sure we'll talk tonight and I'll give an update.

Connections
In the meantime I have reached out to the 2 families I "met" on the internet last year who adopted older girls from the same orphanage; both knew Ziwei/Sophia. One is 12 or 13 now and was adopted last July. Although she was in foster care, she and Ziwei went to school together. They have given us their skype address so that Ziwei can call her from China if she feels it will help with the transition. I'm sure it will be a great comfort to Ziwei. They have a lot of excitement going on in their home also as the Mom is traveling to China next week to bring home 2 more girls; 11 and 13 years old.


Penny traveling home
Penny is the tallest - 1 year after adoption

There is another girl who actually shared a room with Ziwei in the orphanage. She was adopted in February of 2008 and is now 11 years old. She says that Ziwei is a VERY nice girl that everyone likes and she is kind to everyone. She and Ziwei often played jump rope together and they were in a dance performance together several times. The orphanage had a small dance troupe that went to different places to perform. I'm sure Ziwei will be very excited that we have found this friend of hers.


Unfortunately, both families are in the midwest, but I'm hoping someday to physically connect with them. I sent pictures of both girls with Constantin to show Ziwei. An element of familiarity should be very comforting to her. I thank both families for all the information they've shared with me and all the support they've given me. It has been invaluable.





No comments:

Post a Comment