Saturday, October 31, 2009

Email From Constantin

Email from Constantin: Yesterday, Friday we had a free morning and we were flying to Guangzhou at about 4:15. We had breakfast in the morning and then we went shopping. Sophia bought some tops and matching bottom underwear. She knows exactly what she wants and you can not tell her otherwise. You have met your match!

Then she was ready to visit the bookstore and she bought plenty of books. I do not have a clue what they are, I assume they are novels. She spends a lot of time reading.

When I asked if she feels comfortable flying, she told me that she flew before to Shanghai and she loves "roller coasters".

When we go to the supermarket she picks up some things airtight sealed and she enjoys them very much. They always looked to me like white vegetable strips. Today she bought some more, but ha ha the ingredients were in English: they are chicken feet/toes in very spicy Japanese peppers. Then she picked up some potato chips, they are so hot I still can not breathe. Boy, what's up with this? I imagine she thinks I am chicken.

The flight was great, the guide left us wandering at the airport for about half hour. The airport was very busy with a lot of pushing and shoving. Last night we went to Lucy's and ate outdoors. It was great and very inexpensive. Sophia had a filet mignon with shrimp, medium. The hotel is very big, the rooms are small, the beds are small and the mattress sucks.... I feel I am under a nerves endurance test. Very little sleep has become my middle name, I wonder why? I do not feel nervous or stressed at all. NOT!

Last night we slept at 11:30, late night. This morning we had to be up and going be 7:30. We had to go for the medical exam. Sophia needs glasses and dental work. She was vaccinated with the Hague five vaccines and a TB test (we have to be back Monday morning at 7:30 to check the TB spot). She has to drink a lot of water today and I have to watch for side effects. I got all the details on the vaccines, but it seems they are very low doses. What is the scoop with that? I am just checking them on the Internet. Well, we'll have all her titers checked with Dr. Traister. She seemed very comfortable during the vaccination and all the needles.

After the exam, we did the paperwork with Judy, the guide, and then back in the room. Sophia enjoys hanging in the room, reading, playing and watching TV. She does not want to go out even for food. I have been locked indoors, while it looks and feels so great out there. I am going to have to devise a way to trick her to get out......

Here's a picture from the Panda Reserve:


1 comment:

  1. Kris, thank you so much for sharing Constantin's postings with all of us. I am enjoying following their journey. Sophia is just so lovely and seems to be doing a remarkable job adjusting to all the changes in her life. She is joining a wonderful family! Lots of love to you all.

    ReplyDelete